Aside from its being Labor Day, it’s the first of May. How special this month is that there are a lot of things that come to my mind.
1. The First of May song by Bee Gees. I know this is one of my parents’ songs and I used to play it on my keyboards when I was young. It brings me back to those summer vacations when I was learning how to play the instrument. Speaking of summer vacations, the next item made them more memorable.
2. The first rain! In the Philippines it usually comes within this month. Since it is very long-awaited, many people consider this to be a blessing! But because of climate changes, the first rains of the year come in earlier months now. So this item is a thing of the past. I’m lucky to have experienced it.
The first rain refreshes the long-been-thirsty ground, plants, pavement, everything! As a result, that distinct May scent lingers as I watch by the window of our home when I was younger.
3. Fiestas are usually celebrated in the month of May. Not being a Catholic makes me an observer and not a participant in this.
4. Birthdays and anniversaries of loved ones… I’m greatly looking forward to these!
5. Election time. It’s just a week to go and it’s Halalan 2016! This is by far the most controversial and complicated election that is going to happen in the Philippines. I am a voter in my hometown, but for some reasons I couldn’t vote. Will just be praying for God’s will for our country!
6. Nueva Vizcaya Week. It’s a province-wide celebration of the culture, people and progress of the hometown that I lost…
7. May Day Eve short story by Nick Joaquin! Such a good short story about a love once upon a May Day Eve. We did a review on this in our English Class when I was in high school. And I’ll always remember it!
8. Pistay Dayat (Feast of the Sea) in Dagupan City Pangasinan. It’s a celebration of Dagupan’s beaches and their best produce-the Bangus fish. People flock into the Tondaligan beach for the festivities. Most people really set this time of the year for reunions and get togethers. I think I’ve been there one May 1, when I was a kid.
And this list is becoming long.
How about you, what are the things that you remember with the first of May?